Monday, March 12, 2007

Bear Mtn


Bear Mtn
Originally uploaded by woodsrun.
This is not really called Bear Mountain, I don't know what it's name is. One year when we were teenagers Henry decided we should climb this. It's across from the horse farm. Molly, Henry and I bushwacked our way to the top. I think he expected a great view, but I don't remember that there was one. Not long after we climbed it someone told me there were a lot of bears on this hill.

Henry developed a feeling that we should explore the Adirondacks outside of our little Silver Lake neighborhood, an alien concept to the Rogers family. No one in our family ever climbed any mountain more than 5 miles away from Silver Lake. When Jenica was old enough he and she climbed Algonquin, one of the tallest peaks in the Adirondacks. He was pretty proud of that. They also climbed Catamount, a mountain on the other side of a neighboring lake. We were always intimidated by Catamount because one of our lake neighbors' sister fell to her death when climbing the mountain as a girl. I found out later that they were bushwacking and horsing around on the rocky ledges on the mountain and that's why she fell. Some myths die hard.

I now know a lot of people who've climbed Catamount and I always gasp when they tell me about it, then I laugh and tell them "Dan Webster's sister died on that mountain, you know."

No comments:

Post a Comment