Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Dog saves boy from fire by biting foot

Mon Jan 7, 9:56 PM ET

PORTAGE, Ind. - A black Labrador that bit a 13-year-old boy's foot repeatedly, waking him up, is being credited with saving the boy and two of his friends from a house fire. Christopher Peebles said he woke up Friday morning to feel his dog Laney biting his foot repeatedly in the basement of his family's home, where he and two friends had spent the night.


I'm confused. Did the dog bite his own foot? Did the dog bite the boy in the boy's basement? What part of the anatomy is "basement" a euphemism for? Has the reporter been using a thesaurus we don't know about? Leave it to a Labrador.

Will I get any work done today? So far not so much. 10:00 doctor's appointment (yes, I am sane) and 10:30 Starbucks appointment ($21 left on gift card #1). Yesterday I discovered a box of stuff sent to me in October with the request that it be cataloged quickly, as library has subscription and will be receiving more in the series. Well, why haven't I heard from them since Oct.? Do they really think I'm that incompetent? Or are they impressed that I'm so busy that I just can't get to it.
The dept. head of the Cataloging Dept. I first worked for tried to convince people that a big backlog meant we were doing a good job. If we were way behind in our work it meant we were taking a long time to catalog each book, which meant we were using the right subject headings and Dewey numbers, putting each book in just the right place. For a while I actually bought into that, until other people starting asking me to explain it and I tried to do it while keeping a straight face. He was ultimately fired and I was promoted to Dept. Head, after having been transferred to the Ref. Dept. A colleague said "Elizabeth is banished, then returns triumphant." I like being described as triumphant. I've felt triumphant pretty often in recent years. But does starting a fire in your wood stove really count? Oh yes, when it's -15 outside and you've got a good bed of coals because you stuffed the stove really well so the wood burned just right from the previous fire.



No comments:

Post a Comment