Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Happy New Year

And what a nice first day of 2014 it's been.  I listened to a radio station for nearly all of the day, playing "Beatles A-Z," which was fantastic.  It was really interesting to listen to the songs in alphabetical order, as opposed to chronological order.  Way cool.  I had to dig out a radio, but it was sure worth it.

I talked to a lot of people on the phone in the morning--call to my mother, nice conversation with Fred, and a long talk with the Nadals.  All very nice.  Roger Gray called in the morning to say that he & Monica were coming up to their camp and would stop in.  Which they did, on their way in and when they left.  They were down there for a long time, which worried me.  Temp was 7 but there was a beautiful warm sun.  They walked out on the ice, and into the woods--their feeling is that they have to spend at least as much time here as it takes to get here--in their case, 3 hours.  We had a nice visit.  Monica is British and charming, and works at the NY State Archives.  She deals with the public and has lots of entertaining tales to tell.

I'm really happy with my new stove.  The cleaning made a big difference and now it throws heat well and burns nicely.  It doesn't eat wood the way the old stove did, and is pretty as well.  I kept the house very warm with minimal effort.  I got a few chores done, tidied up the living room, got the presents ready for book group (which meets Sunday at my house).  Dogs went in and out a respectable number of times.

It's supposed to be well below zero tonight, like -12 or so.  The house is still warm and it's down to 1 outside.  The big storm that's coming will hit south of here tomorrow and Friday.  YAY for once we get a break.  We're only supposed to have 4" of fluffy snow, which shouldn't complicate things too much.  Back to work tomorrow--

No comments:

Post a Comment