Sunday, October 16, 2016

Bucklet list check-off

Every now and then (and 3 times this summer) people see a moose in my neighborhood.  Well fan me with a brick yesterday I saw one.  I've always wanted to see one up close and personal, and what a bonus that it was 7 miles from my house.  They have a range of 50 miles and have been seen nearer my house than that--moose prints at the end of my driveway, and in the bog next door to my house.  This was way cool.  I was on my way to the dump and she came out of the woods, trotted to the middle of the road (I was parked on the shoulder), looked around then turned back and trotted back into the woods.  She was beautiful, shiny and relaxed and looked just great.  I've heard reports that ticks are a big problem for some mooses, they get such bad infestations, but this one looked wonderful.  Oh I'm a happy girl now.

Other than moose musings life goes on.  Linda is the last of the summer friends to leave, she leaves later in the morning.  We had one final dock-sit Sat. afternoon in hot sun.  The water was tempting, we almost went in, but thought better of it.  I've helped her a bit to close up her camp, hating to see her go but also looking forward to getting back to my REAL life.  This week the weather is supposed to be wonderfully warm.  It wasn't warm Sat. morning, temp was 25 and we finally had a heavy frost.  Killed my impatiens but not the geraniums.

I still have water coming out of my faucets but I'm using as little as possible.  Yes, I flush my toilets, and the other day I bravely took a shower here.  No problems so far.  I'm not doing my laundry at home, I use the Holts' washing machine (which is way better and bigger than mine anyway).  I suppose eventually I'll have to stop using their machine and go to a laundromat.  Back to that, I've been in this position before.  Time to start saving quarters.

The dogs are just fine--it's 3 a.m. and they're snoring in the bedroom while I'm in the living room writing this in front of the fire.  I lay in bed, awake, for an hour or so before deciding to get up.  I don't often sleep through the night but am trying to stay up later.  When I retired I started going to bed early, 8:30 or so, but that just means I wake after a few hours, as if I've just had a lovely nap.  I have trouble getting back to sleep.  Ideally I would sleep until 6 or so and wake up refreshed and ready for the day.  I am extremely sensitive to morning light, I wake when it gets light outside without an alarm.  I have my nifty "pretend sunrise" alarm light and it wakes me at 5:45 or so, but sometimes I go back to sleep until it's light outside, which is too late or me now. 

I've been retired for nearly 2 years and am still getting used to it.  I worked full-time for 40 years, will it take that long for me to get used to not working?  Oh I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment