Saturday, October 01, 2016

What retirement means

is that, if you don't feel like doing something constructive today you can always do it tomorrow.  Or the next day.  Or next week.  or not at all.  I had a good morning--went to the dump, then to AuSable to buy paper plates and napkins, then came home to "rest."  Then I used my nifty new folding saw (which will cut trees up to 6" in diameter) to cut down the tree that was growing up into my deck, then cut up the downed trees that were blocking the bottom of the driveway, then huffed and puffed from the exertion.  Oh I'm a huffer all right.  I dumped out some of my planters, they're all looking pretty scruffy but some of them still have blooming plants so I had mercy on them.  I cleaned my wood stove, including the windows in the front.  Now I have a toasty fire going just to take the chill off, it's 60 and fine but I decided to warm the living room a bit.

What I did not do was take my laundry to the Holts, or take a shower at the Holts, or visit P&J, or other things on my long list of tasks.  I did get to cross off a few things and that was satisfying.  I also realized that I have 2 rain barrels full of water so I can flush my toilet.  duh.  I always collect rain water in barrels for watering the plants and have prided myself in having that water in case I need flushing water.  So why did it take me a whole day to think of that? I've settled into the waterless life I (too) often live.  Will wash the dishes this afternoon, that's not hard with a dishpan.

The dogs have had a good couple of days, I've been with them nearly the whole time.  Good girls.  They run down the driveway, barking, several times a day.  As far as I could tell Treasure was barking at falling leaves--Tess was not fooled by that, though.  I put food in the bird feeder but so far no one has discovered that.  I need to strip the upstairs bed and wash those sheets.  And of course there are the refrigerators at camp...   I'd be more inclined to work on those if I thought there was any food I might find palatable in them.


No comments:

Post a Comment