Thursday, October 06, 2016

Still dry but with promise

I still don't have running water but have been in touch with well drillers, who say there's a month-long wait before they can come.  That's OK, I'll have time to figure out the money part of it by then.  The question is: will I just go without water for the next month, or will I ask for help?  These well people don't work on hand-dug wells, rats.  I have contractors who are friends and would help me but I know they're all very busy and I don't want to impose or interrupt their work so I doubt I'll call them.  I'm such a jerk.

We're having a good fall, it's warm and sunny today, just lovely.  I went to the dentist this morning, just a cleaning--very successful except that I have to return in 6 months to have a filling replaced and maybe have a crown put on the tooth.  Well hell.  My teeth are in good shape, though, so I shouldn't complain or suffer.  I am very lucky.

Tonight Linda is having a dinner party to celebrate Bill's birthday, 8 people for pork (Bill & Fred's favorite).  I'm not making anything to take (whew), I bought wine.  Tomorrow there's an exhibit opening at a gallery in Lake Placid--it's Jamie's brother, the artist, so I may try to go.  Some friends want to have dinner with me in a nearby restaurant so I guess I'll go to the opening then to dinner.  Saturday night I'm having dinner with the Holts.  I've been using their water, shower, washing machine.  Will I use their shower while they're in residence?  I doubt it, I'm too self-conscious.  They'll be here until Monday so I may just wash up in the lake.  Brrrrr, but it's sunny and warm right now.  Tomorrow Linda and I are planning a dock day.  May be our last one, she's leaving next weekend.  Boy will I feel that change.  It will be good for me to get my life back into some state of normal.  Joe & Martha left this week, they made it home to Georgia but have been evacuated because of the hurricane. I'm thinking good, positive thoughts for them.

Life continues for me.  I made phone calls for our Congressional candidates one morning, I went to Plattsburgh a few times this week, I'm living comfortably without water but will soon be very tired of that for sure.  I started knitting an afghan for a baby due in February.  I love knitting baby things, especially blankets or afghans, I always feel productive if I'm knitting while I waste time watching TV.

The dogs are well.  Tess still itches, presumably from the ragweed.  We should have a frost one of these nights, which should end that.  They ran off this morning while I was getting ready to leave for the dentist.  I got upset but they came home soon enough so that I was only 10 minutes late.  duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment