Friday, October 28, 2016

Snow, no snow

I spent yesterday worrying about an impending snow storm--we were on the cusp of 2" to 8" total, a range I love.  There's s huge difference in the impact between 2 inches and 8 inches.  Last night I went to Plattsburgh with Pat to celebrate her birthday dinner with Fred, Bill and Bill's cousin.  It rain-snowed on the way in but snowed hard on the way home.  Dinner was fine, we all enjoyed being together, but the ride home was messy and unpleasant.  I don't have snow tires on my car yet (that comes next week) but it does have AWD so it was stable and only skidded a bit and slid a few times.  I'm usually pretty calm and easy about driving in bad weather on bad roads but maybe I'm getting too old for that attitude, or maybe it was because there was someone else in the car--anyway it was a really crappy trip.  I got us both home easily, really, and was safe in the house with the car parked outside.  It turned to rain overnight, I guess, because there was only a dusting on the ground this morning and now the ground is bare and it's 39 degrees.  Balmy.

I had coffee with Fred yesterday morning, that was nice but it was 23 outside and not much warmer in his camp.  That was OK, my house is warm and we didn't visit long.  I'll try to recreate what I did yesterday, but details are sort of hard to dig up.  I know I did laundry at the Holts, 2 loads.  I still have camp laundry to do but am taking a break today.  I still have water in my well (apparently) because I can shower, flush and do dishes at home.  And I even have enough to give to the thirsty dogs.

I went to Westport the other day, had to pick up worming pills for the dogs.  It's a pretty long trip but there was still come color in the mountains there, mostly oaks and poplars/aspens/birches.  Fairly colorful.  Mostly it just felt like a long drive.  They got wormed with the $60 worth of pills and seem to be just fine.  The same, for sure, worms don't upset them.

I brought home some of Fred's geraniums and vinca, finally took the windowbox upstairs.  I also have Joe's rosemary bush, and I found it a nice home in the bathroom. It will get light there and it will be cool enough to keep it from drying out.  I don't expect the geraniums to do well but just thought it would be nice to have some green.  I have a couple of plants from Linda as well.

I called Vermont to schedule my mammogram.  They can't see me until December but that's just fine.  I wrote a couple of notes to friends and mailed them.  Went to the grocery store for milk, got gas, did a modicum of tidying up the living room.  Much remains to be done with that project, but there was a little progress instead of increasing the mess.  Oh how I hate vacuuming.  Why does the black dog throw her hair on the floor.  oh wait, I just looked more closely at it, there's a big bunch of BROWN hair under the TV.

The birds at my feeder are busy and hungry.  I have some thrushes on the ground, that seems odd and not something I remember from years past.  I had 8 robins on the lawn the other day, that was a treat.  Lots of juncos, who must be passing through, nuthatches, who will stick around.  Woodpeckers aplenty, happy and silly chickadees and one I think is a pine grosbeak.  I've had them before but only once or twice in 20 years.

Although 39 feels pretty warm, I'm waiting for even warmer days to finish my outdoor chores.  I have to clear off the deck, cover some firewood, put the mower in the shed, clear off the deck, dump the flower pots and I'm sure do some other things outside.  I would be much more inclined to do those things if the sun would ever shine.  I like the bare naked woods, trees without leaves--I can see into and through the woods, and it's much lighter in my house without leaves.  I'm doing well at adjusting to this new season.

No comments:

Post a Comment