Thursday, January 18, 2007

The 700 club

This is post 701, but each photo gets its own number so I don't really think that's valid.

I'm using my atomic clock now (gift from engineer uncle, my only surviving uncle, it occurs to me). If you press the bar on top of it, the time is projected onto the ceiling. But last night the lamp was blocking the time so there was just a red glow. This meant I had to wake up even more to move the lamp because let's face it, I wanted to be entertained at 2:45 by seeing red numbers on my ceiling. I could have looked at the digital numbers next to the bed, but looking up is way more fun. I admit that my round Walmart clock is much more effective at getting me up and ready for work in the morning (it's 6:45 at a glance, get up get up get up) but for now I'm being entertained atomically. And this time of year I'll take any form of entertainment I can get.

Dogs are learning, in a funny way to sit before dashing out the door. Chances is incredibly stubborn and tries to get out the door without first sitting and waiting for me to OK the dash. She tries this about every 5th time. Tess is the perfect lady and sits like a 4th grader in class. Last night she wiggled with every fiber in her body, but her butt was on the floor. Chances looks to the side, totally bored and not amused. She clearly does not sanction this new routine. So far the storm door is still in pristine condition so my ploy seems to be working.

Am burning the final rank of wood that was stacked outside. It's last year's wood so is supreme, burns hot and doesn't sizzle. But it's small pieces, not the big boogers I need to last all day or all night. Plus, it's the LAST rank of that batch. I have another rank in the wood shed, then what? Lots of green wood that was purchased in the fall which may or may not burn but in any case will not throw heat and will clog my chimney with creosote. That should happen in March. Learn from experience, girl.

And now, I know everyone is waiting with baited breath: 1893 edition of Midsummer night's dream, Eclectic English classics ed. for the Wadhams Library. As part of their regular circulating collection, not a special collection. No kidding. Why do these libraries think they need individual copies of some (not all) of Shakespeare's plays (dillusionally, you NEVER discard those, that would be worse than discarding the Bible). Have they never heard of The complete works of Shakespeare? Or, say interlibrary loan?

No comments:

Post a Comment