Monday, January 29, 2007

Very, very sad

Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro, whose long struggle to overcome injuries he suffered in the opening moments of the Preakness Stakes captured the sympathy of millions, was put to death today after his owners and veterinarian decided the latest complications had put the horse in too much pain and he had little hope of recovery.

This makes me very sad. I think horse racing is a horrible thing. It's true the horses love to run, they're bred for it and it gives them joy, just as Tess can't come to me without first finding something to carry in her mouth. She wiggles all over when she's carrying something: it's what she's been bred to do. The way they treat race horses, however is barbaric. They race them when they are babies, so young that their bones have not yet fully formed and they should not be bearing the weight of a jockey. They pump them full of drugs to enhance their performances, to thin their blood, to increase the amount of oxygen that flows through their veins. I thought Barbaro was a magnificent animal and he didn't deserve to have his bones broken because humans were greedy and wanted more from him than he should have been asked to give.

So why is it wrong to race horses but not to show dogs in a ring? Tough call. They don't pump dogs full of drugs. It's true they shave off their whiskers, and in some cases give them ridiculous haircuts. Again, the dogs mostly love to perform, they're trained to and it's obvious some of them love the applause and attention they get. They have to fly and travel in crates all over the place, but many of them sleep with their owners or trainers. Most don't, though (I think). Most probably sleep in crates and are not given much affection. The champions get lots of love and good attention. I like to focus on them--those are the ones you get to see, anyway.

I won't get into racing greyhounds. That's unspeakably cruel and I can't confront it even in my kindest, calmest moments.

Basically I just don't like the way humans treat animals. I eat very little meat, but not because I don't believe in factory farms or cruel stockyards, just because it's too complicated and not that tasty. Fish farming is cruel, too, and the seas are quickly being emptied. I can feel sorry for plants, too. Soybeans? No, I don't feel sorry for them, they seem willing to donate their lives for a good cause. Chickpeas? Again, willing to jump in the bowl for me. Lentils? no one likes them anyway so it's ok to eat them. Onions, garlic, they live underground so we're showing them daylight and therefore improving their lots in life.

I could go on. Mostly I just feel very sad about that poor horse.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:19 PM

    That is sad.

    The greyhounds were at Agway last weekend, all skittish and sweet (and dressed in foolish coats, but hey, it was pretty cold). They weren't offering them for adoption, just raising money and awareness.

    ReplyDelete