Thursday, June 07, 2007


Bracken bloom
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
Here's that bracken in the bog, now frondy. This is what it looks like in bloom, or as much in bloom as bracken gets. I'm not sure if you call it "in bloom," but it sure looks cool. These things grow straight up from the middle of the plant.

I went for a bog walk this morning at 6:15. The dogs were sooooo thrilled. It was 38 out. The TV people threatened us with frost last night so I brought in a bunch of my seedlings and plantlets--all for naught, thank goodness.

I stayed home yesterday, still had my fever and yucky cough. Did shots of 'tussin with codeine, which helped a little bit. The house was 58 degrees when I got up and I never got it warmer than 64. The sun barely came out so it was just cold all day. It rained in the morning or I would have ventured outside for firewood and lit the stove. That would have meant clearing off the detritus, though. My father always pronounced that DEH-tritus, but people I know now call it deh-TRItus. Oh how confusing life can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment