Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Sheep laurel


Sheep laurel
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
Well now I'm all confused. I thought the sheep laurel had already bloomed. It makes sense that it would be blooming now, because the laurel surrounding my mother's house in RI (well does she have another house that's NOT in RI?) blooms at the end of June. This is called sheep laurel (I've read) because it's poisonous to sheep. Why would you name something after the animal it's poisonous to? Do we call it human arsenic?

We planned our wedding around the blooming of the laurel, because when it's a good laurel year it's truly spectacular. The woods are full of huge pom-poms of barely pink-tinged white blossoms. They look like small rhodendrons, since they're members of the same family. Anyway, I wanted to be married in my mother's yard when the laurel was in bloom. Planned the whole thing around it. Didn't want--REALLY didn't want a wedding at all, was humoring Jamie completely on that. So guess what? The laurel was a complete bust that year and there was hardly any. Some years it's like that, there just isn't much in bloom. It was a nice wedding anyway, as weddings go. Who knew we would have to ask people not to stand on the rocks in the woods right in front of us, taking pictures as we were promising the world to each other? How rude they all were, snapping away in our faces. Anyway, Jamie was nervous and got his pronouncement wrong. He said "All my worldly goods I me endow." He sure was right about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment