Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Unfinished symphony


Unfinished symphony
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
This is the chaos that is my bedroom right now. I'm sleeping in the upstairs (guest) bedroom. It turns out I really like that room but the dogs desperately want to sleep in their regular bed. Every night I ask them if they want to go to bed and Chances walks right to the downstairs bedroom door, sadly. Too bad, Chances Are, I haven't painted the trim yet.

The color was supposed to be a pale, grayish green. As everyone I've spoken to in the past 2 weeks knows, that is not how it turned out. What I had in mind was a pale Colonial green. What I got was a pale celery-sort of green. I had to decide after the first coat whether to drive 60 miles round trip to get a different color and paint 2 more coats, or live with what I had. Everyone knows I'm fundamentally lazy, so it's no surprise that I'm living with what I have.

When I painted the ceiling, it turned out to be an even different color, maybe because I didn't stir the paint enough, or maybe because they mixed the 2nd gallon differently. Anyway, there's nary a green tint to the ceiling. It's way better than looking at the single coat of primer I've been staring at for the past several years, though. Overall I'm pleased with the project and will be really pleased when I feel well enough to paint the trim. I had "Bill's boys" move the bed back to it's position for me, since it's too heavy for almost anyone to move and you can't slide it along the floor because the floorboards are warped (they were green wood) and the legs will buckle (even though each leg now has 4 screws holding it together). When Jamie built this bed he was so proud that it had no nails or screws, but was built entirely with pegs. Bad idea, I've discovered, unless you know what you're doing. When Lin & I took it apart to move it downstairs a couple of years ago and reassembled it (after she stopped laughing--really laughing) we had one peg left over and couldn't find a hole to put it in. Anyway, I always felt the whole thing would collapse at any moment but now it's sturdy and doesn't wobble every time a dog scratches her ear.

1 comment:

  1. I think the colors look restful. I like. For whatever that's worth!!

    ReplyDelete