Thursday, June 14, 2007

viburnum


viburnum
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
I have to double check by taking a closer look at the leaves but I think this is wild viburnum. It would make sense that it's blooming in the woods now. There are several patches of it on my land. Very pretty blossoms, floating on patches of green. Geez, I sound queer, don't I.

When Jamie and I used to walk (which we did a lot) he would look up and I would look down. I learned the flowers and he studied the state of the forest and noticed the birds. Now I know the birds by their songs (some of them, not as many as I'd like). I'm trying to learn the bird songs but I bought a really queer CD that I listened to as much as I could stand to in the car. This crazy woman made up the queerest stuff she pretended the birds were saying. The white-throated sparrow, which has a very straightforward song and is really easy to identify is saying (according to her) "Who killed Sam Peabody?" As if. I expected her to have one say "ImgoingtothemallIneedanewpairofshoesshoesshoes."

Of course, in the bog and around my house are birds whose calls I recognize from the CD but I can't remember whose calls they are. The CD is organized by type of bird--warbler, flycatcher, etc. Well, really: if you knew what type of bird it was, wouldn't you have a bead on what KIND of bird it was? Sam Peabody my ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment