Saturday, January 14, 2017

Still not hot, yet

I don't fully understand why I allow myself to live like this, over and over.  I still don't have hot water, the breaker for the water heater made a terrible noise so I shut it off and walked away.  So it's been days.  I shower and do laundry at the Holts, I cook water to wash the dishes, I wash my face in cold water (that's what Paul Newman did anyway, even when he had access to hot water, so let's pretend that's a beauty secret).  I'm waiting for...for what?  well, for my money to come, first of all.  I could call someone and set it up but who would I call?  I'm going to talk to Marylou about electricians in the area, maybe she'll have a magic answer for me, someone wonderful and available.  Oh wait, if they're wonderful they're not available.  I have to solve this problem within the next 2 weeks because the Holts are coming at the first of next month and I refuse to shower at their house while they're in residence.  I do have my limits.

It was a pretty quiet week for the most part.  Two trips to Plattsburgh, two dump runs and one day spent in Hawkeye and only Hawkeye.  I had lunch with Julie and lunch with Barb this week, went to a meeting of the cemetery association (where I declined an offer to be trustee).  I've been gently and gradually cleaning the house--book group meets here tomorrow night.  Today was a day off, though, and after going to the dump I went to Keene to meet Julie.  We spent most of the day visiting, first over coffee, then we decided we were hungry so went out for lunch.  We do know how to entertain each other and always laugh a lot.  Even in the face of our trials and tribulations (of which she has plenty and I have a mere few).

The cat is in residence but limits his prowling to the upstairs.  We've made progress--he looked me in the eye yesterday, then walked (not ran) away.  He's made the connection between the Old Woman and food so he's much more tolerant of me.  He wants nothing to do with the dogs but they are fascinated by his presence, and especially his food, which passes by them every day as I take it upstairs.  Oh they want that canned food!  I can't find him in the master bedroom but make him come out into the open to eat, moving the dish closer to the stairs every now & then.

It was -5 this morning and my house just would not warm up.  Well duh I forgot to turn the heat in the kitchen back on.  I'd shut off the heat during our 40-degree days this week.  It rained and rained then froze and froze.  Lots of thick ice in driveways and on lawns now but my plow man has sanded at least twice here so my driveway is good for walking and carrying firewood across.  Whew.

Tomorrow I'll vacuum and clean the bathroom and make some treats for dessert (probably) and finish the book group book.  I think I'm still in denial about what happens to this country on January 20th.  I prefer to ignore the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment