Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Storm: CHECK

The storm came.  It started with ice, just enough ice to keep me at home this morning instead of meeting Carol at the gym.  I was up at 5, then dozed on the couch until my mother called to check on me.  She was having a storm too but hers was a wind storm with a little rain.  She's very nervous about wind--her house is in the woods, surrounded by trees and she worries endlessly about having a tree (or two) fall on her house.  I guess I could worry about this too but I elect not to.

Anyway I didn't go to the gym in the morning but I did go in the afternoon by myself.  I had a couple of things to mail and I wanted some gym time so I drove to AuSable.  The roads were nasty, only barely plowed but I got there without incident.  I treadmilled for half an hour or so, read a book while I walked.  Large print is definitely easier to read but this was a regular print book so I struggled a little bit but managed to read OK.  It was wonderful to have the place to myself.

I got behind a snow plow on the way home, picked it up just outside of town.  That meant 25 mph for 13 miles but that was OK, it was nice to have a freshly plowed lane to drive in and I was listening to early Neil Young and was going slowly enough to let the dogs hang their heads out the windows.  It was fine.  When I got home Donny came to plow my driveway (YAY) and I talked to him about hot water (the lack of it, anyway).  He's coming on Thursday to see what's up with my water heater.  I had called him but he was snowmobiling in Yellowstone, I didn't know when he came back.  duh.  A phone call, a simple phone call, Elizabeth, that's all it takes.  Anyway I'm pretty pleased with myself for asking for his help.  I know it's not so much "help" when you're paying someone to fix something but I have this major problem with asking for anything.  I'm afraid I see it as a sign of weakness and failure, the need for other people.  Well I know I need other people in my life, and I know all too well that I can't take good care of my house, but I just hate asking people for things.  Perhaps I could move past this?

Tomorrow I'm meeting Carol at the gym again at 6:30.  Will call my mother when I get home from that, then will go to Plattsburgh for lunch with Julie.  We ended up with maybe 6" of snow, it's very pretty out there.  I actually shoveled a path to the steps on my deck.  Easy shoveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment