Monday, October 09, 2017

Holiday (from what?)

Late sun on the far shore from the boat house, a pretty night spent with friends.  This is a busy weekend but now it's Monday and the busy-ness is pretty much over.  Just Linda left and she's leaves on Weds. so is very busy closing her camp and getting ready to head back to Ann Arbor.

Meanwhile I'm having a Day of Nothing.  I was up early in case we were meeting at the gym but that didn't happen (which sure was fine with me).  I've been doing pretty much nothing at all except I did go to the boat house to retrieve  Bear.  When will I remember to lock the screen door so he can't get in?  He loves to go down there and poke around, the door opens in so he can't get out.  That's about the most I've done today except I did measure some of the pieces of fabric I brought home from the thrift store where (it turns out) I'm going to volunteer.  maybe.  They need volunteers badly, it's a very busy place and favorite destination by a lot of people.  I went in on Friday and came home with 3 batches of donated fabric to measure and label.  That's pretty ironic, I haven't really sewn anything since Home Ec. in 7th grade.  All the class had to make the same jumper, and we were required to wear the god-awful thing at least once. 

Anyway I think I'll be working with donated books, sorting them by author and sale-worthiness.  Of  course they want the retired librarian to work with books.  But that's OK.

Yesterday I spent time with Pat & Jim, talked to the Holts, had dinner at Linda's and didn't really do much else.  It turns out that the ex-husband closed main camp so that's a great help, I don't really mind doing it but it's hard to move all the furniture alone so I need help with it.  What a bonus to have that done.  I have to close the boat house but it's too warm and nice still. There may still be a morning coffee with friends on the porch there.  Not today, it's raining endlessly.

We sill have color but we're losing leaves.  This is time time I sort of dread but also sort of welcome as the moving along to the next season.  Soon the trees will be bare and the woods will be brown and gray but we'll be able to see deep into the woods.  We don't have the yellows yet or the tamaracks, they'll be the last to show.

Going out for dinner with Linda tonight, our next-to-last chance for this year.  It's been a good year, plenty of good visits with good friends and lots (AND LOTS) of dock time with Linda.  Her dock is coming out tomorrow wow that's a sad moment but the timing is perfect.  My cousins were here this weekend and took out the camp docks.

The dogs are fine, even with Bear's wanderings.  Some people think I should get a shock collar for him but I hate to do that.  A friend saw a black dog at his camp down the lake recently--I don't know if it was Bear but he does sometimes disappear for long periods of time and that's not good.  He and Treasure are friends but not close friends.  They do sometimes run into the woods together but aren't gone long together.

I put up my bird feeder more than a week ago and NO ONE has shown up.  Where are the birds???  I've had blue jays in the yard but not at the feeder.  I have a new feeder this year in addition to the squirrel and blue jay proof one that hangs.  Have I put up the new one yet?  Of course not, that would be productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment