Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Zero population

Linda left today.  Now it's just one other person and me (in my circle that is--there are others in the neighborhood but we don't count them).  It's a cool night with frost warnings, down to 44 right now.  It was cool all day, never really got out of the 40's.  I have a hot fire in the stove so my living room is approaching "too hot."  Bedroom is quite cool and Bear is warming the bed for me.

I had a good day, short time at the gym due to scheduling issues but that was OK.  I said farewell to Linda then went to the thrift store to volunteer for a couple of hours.  What did they think I should do?  Sort books, of course!  Who wouldn't want a retired librarian to do something with books?  It was a good time and they sure have plenty of books, some very good.  Of course the woman who does the book sorting wanted me to work with young adult books, an area I am historically and woefully ignorant of.  Oh well I faked it.  I spent time shelving books--when I was employed that was one task I steadfastly refused to do. 

I got home in the late afternoon and didn't do much except get the fire going and do a little (very little) housekeeping.  I'm hosting book group on Sunday and should be focusing more on a clean living room.  I also have a lot of cleaning to do in the boat house, the combination of a strong wind and a renegade Bear have resulted in quite a messy floor.  Paper plates all over the porch floor.  Remnants of my recent party throughout the place (thank you Bear).  I need to close the place soon but historically wait until it's cold, quite cold.  Maybe that helps me speed up the process.  This weekend would be a good time for closing up.  I should remember that.  I'm going back to the thrift store on Saturday, maybe after coffee with Julie in the morning.   or a walk with my walking partner.  or what?  Oh hell why decide that now, it's only Weds. night.

Still no birds at the feeder!   I don't know how to woo them.  There was a flock of low-flying geese flying over the woods today making their lovely sound.  We haven't had any of the usual huge flocks and in fact have only had a few smaller flocks though someone did report seeing geese landing on Silver Lake.  That's unusual, we don't usually have many geese here, they seem to go to neighboring bodies of water.  Climate change?  No, just a change.

The dogs are doing well though I did get a report of a Bear sighting too far down OHR from the other day.  Rat pig.  He wasn't out for long today, let's hope that's a new pattern for him.  Some have suggested a shock collar and maybe I should look into that.  It's not that I think it's cruel, I just hate to do that to the poor boy.  And I like to have him poop far into the woods.  Oh the torture of making such a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment