Thursday, October 05, 2017

Holy October!

Well September came and went, I must have been busy, too busy to post.  Some of my friends who read this blog agree with me that posting to my blog is a winter-type activity.  Summer is busy with dock time and visiting.  September was like the summer we didn't have as far as weather went.  It started cold and rainy but man oh man was it a lovely month.  I went to the Midwest at the beginning of the month, met up with 17 friends from Rockford.  We get together every 2 or 3 years and this was truly one of the most fun trips I've made.  It was just a nice gathering of interesting and wonderful women.  We didn't have a lot of activities--some years we do more, but this year was about visiting and spending time together.  I totally enjoyed it all and found myself surprisingly cheerful at being back in the middle of the country.  That was a treat.  I'm looking forward to our next gathering 2 years from now.

Linda and I had 3 fantastic weeks of docksitting and swimming.  Her dock is great for sitting and swimming so that's what we did.  And boy did we.  We were still doing it last week during a heat wave.  I did swim day before yesterday but that was cold, very cold.  Her thermometer measured 67 but that was close to the surface.  We noodled our way out into the lake and just had a wonderful month together.  She leaves next week and I'll have my annual post-summer, pre-winter adjustment period.  This weekend is the neighborhood's swan song, there will be many visitors for Columbus Day.  Some summer friends have left already, some will be closing their camps this weekend.  I have done nothing at all about closing our camp or even the boat house.  Yesterday I had a lovely time with friends on the boat house porch--we walked the bog then walked to camp and had coffee and pumpkin cake together.  Man was that nice.

Today I helped Linda a bit, mostly we just visited but did get some camp closing tasks done.  It's hard for both of us to have her leave.  Life goes on.

The dogs are great.  Bear is loud and enthusiastic about having visitors.  TOO enthusiastic.  I had a long visit with the breeder the other day and said he and I need work at my getting control over him.  Man do I love talking with her, she knows SO much about dogs it's just a joy.  Bear had a bad cough after I got home from Wisconsin and I freaked right out, rushed him to the vet.  X-rays and exam, antibiotics, no big crisis after all.  That was huge for me.  Now he's fine and Treasure never did catch the cough.

Life is good, very good.  I have lunch with friends in Plattsburgh, I have book group, I have morning visits and coffee with friends.  I've been walking nearly every morning--we switched from treadmills at the gym to outside walks and man has that been wonderful.  Sometimes we've walked the bog and I get to include the dogs, other times we walk on a dirt road into the woods near my friend's house so the dogs can join us there.  This morning we started treadmilling again--its too dark in the morning to walk outside now so we'll be hitting the gym.  It sure seems to take longer to walk the same amount of time on a treadmill!

No big plans for me other than busy socializing this weekend.  I have a couple of volunteer things I might get involved with.  I have weekly lunch with friends.  I have a good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment