Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Still October (barely)

Happy Halloween to us all.  I've done nothing to celebrate the holiday except eat a lot of chocolate pudding instead of candy.  I like to think I'm helping my body by eating pudding made with milk.  yeah, right.

I had my hair cut today, quite short and what Linda calls "sporty."  My hairdresser said it makes me look younger, I'll settle for that.  I visited P&J to show them, feeling that someone should see what it's supposed to look like but won't look like again after I wash it.  I have friends with straight hair, curly hair, fluffy hair and they don't have to do much to make it look good.  I have no such luck but refuse to put much effort into my appearance (as you all know).

On Sunday I went to a writing workshop at a local library.  WHY???  I was asked that by a couple of people.  I was curious and wanted to know what goes on at a writing workshop.  OK, now I know.  We had to write for 10 minutes using the prompt "meet me at 6:00."  I didn't play fair and didn't use the prompt.  Out of 12 people only one other person did that too.  We read what we wrote and the group and leader commented on it.  OOPS, we ran out of time before I read mind.  I wish I had the nerve to read mine, it would be interesting to hear what others have to say about what I wrote (and no, I'm not reproducing it here)(it was pretty stupid).  Well I was a big chicken and didn't offer up mine.  Some of the people wrote lovely things and almost everyone wrote something well worth hearing.  Guess I didn't feel that confident about mine.

So what have I been doing?  Not blogging.  I wrote a lovely letter yesterday but my computer froze before I saved it and it was gone in a flash.  Poop.  I almost bought a new computer today but then decided I wasn't in the mood and will struggle along with this 5-yr-old HP for a while longer.  It has some serious problems and a dead battery and I was advised that soon the hard drive will die.  I've been backing up what's on this machine that's worth saving--letters and photos almost exclusively.  I'll empty this computer soon enough.

I work at the thrift store twice a week for a couple of hours each time.  They're open Weds. and Sat. from 9-2 but I can't stand to be there for 5 hours so I usually work 9-12 or so.  Am I an asset?  Some days, yes very much but other days I wander around with a book or two in my hand pretending to be busy.  I left early on Saturday because there wasn't much book stuff to do and I didn't feel like working in the Christmas loft, where there is REAL work to be done.  I had company for lunch, we assembled Reuben sandwiches provided by Linda via UPS and her favorite and wonderful deli.  It was warm enough to eat on the deck so I set up a table there and it was pleasant.  The sandwiches were great.

Sunday night we had a storm, as did most of the Northeast.  It winded and rained plenty and in the early hours of the morning we lost power.  Not too dramatic because it wasn't very cold and it was daylight.  My power came back on but there was a line down near here that caused some smoking on the ground.  I called the power company to report it, saying "The ground is smoking and there's a line down--is that an emergency?"  Oh yes, the woman assured me it was an emergency and shortly after that trucks, including a water tanker drove down N.Shore La. to remedy the situation.  High drama for Hawkeye.

Bear has been misbehaving, having been sighted in too many locations too far from home.  He's cabled during the day when he's allowed out but gets to roam free before bed and when we first get up.  He seems to not want to stray far at those times.  Ah, the wonder of dog biscuits!  They get a treat if they come in.  I've been trying to walk the bog every day and that gives Bear a good run.  Oops, I skipped today.  and yesterday.  My walking partner has been ill for a while so we haven't stuck to our morning routines. 

There is a bit of color in the bog but it's mostly gone now, especially after the winds of Sunday and today.  I need to adjust to a forest without color but it is nice to be able to see into the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment