Friday, February 09, 2007

Palatial digs


ice palace
Originally uploaded by woodsrun.
I didn't take this picture, it's from the Plattsburgh paper. This is the ice palace in Saranac Lake, half an hour from my house. They make it out of blocks of ice cut from the lake. It's just about the most beautiful man-made thing around here in winter. I'd go look at it this weekend but it's the last weekend of their Winter Carnival and the place will be crawling with people. I'll wait--as long as it stays cold the ice palace will be up for a while. When it gets warm they knock it down before any chunks fall & hit someone in the head. The blocks weigh like 200 lbs or something each.

So this ice palace is amost two stories high and has colored lights inside of it. There are rooms inside and you can walk around. It's just beautiful. One year I saw fish frozen in two of the blocks. Stupid fish: aren't they smart enough to get out of the way before the water freezes?

No comments:

Post a Comment