Friday, February 09, 2007

Sellin' Chevies

John Mellencamp was on John Stewart last night. I had to stay up until 12:30 waiting for my cheesecake to cool enough to go into the refrigerator because I didn't cook it until late, very late. Anyway, he's got his great new album out. John Stewart said, "Did you know that John Edwards stole your song? (John Edwards is using "This Is Our Country" as his campaign song) Did you know Chevrolet stole your song? Did you know John Edwards is selling Chevies using your song?" Mellencamp is getting old. And he smokes too much. He's had one massive heart attack already and I figure he'll die of another one. He looks old and still can't figure out what to do with his hair. But he's pretty great anyway. He says yes, this is a great album but no, he never feels any album is great. He says he's Sisyphus, always pushing that rock. Imagine John Mellencamp knowing who Sisyphus was. Imagine me knowing what he was referring to. Knowledge is a marvel, no?

-4 this morning plus 3" of new powder. I cannot complain about snow if I do not live in Oswego County. We get snow every day but it's only 3" and our lives are not interrupted by it.

Big staff luncheon today. Theme=soup. Several different kinds of soup. 2 desserts. Last time we had a staff luncheon I did not make my cheesecake, I made an overcooked but still tasty coconut cake with delicious coconut frosting. Complaints about no cheesecake, so this time I made cheesecake. This recipe I got about 30 years ago from Jenica's mother. It's a famous recipe and the key to success is to beat the batter at every step for a long, smooth time. Also add a layer of sour cream, sugar and vanilla to the top and cook it for an extra 10 minutes. Also add 1 Tbs lemon juice. Other than that it's incredibly simple. And everyone adores it. Fred, who once won a stove in a cheesecake-making contest says it's the best (next to his) cheesecake he's tasted.

So am I looking forward to lunch time? Yes and no. Pretty much no. I am focused on losing weight. Eating soup with staff and eating dessert does nothing to further this.

My neck is better but the cold, biting wind it was exposed to as I pumped gas this morning really aggravated it. So did the tension caused by driving 12 mph (really, no exaggeration) behind a snow plow, making me 13 minutes late for work. But now here I am, ready to face Royalty's strangest characters and the privately published Recollections of an old-fashioned lady. Not surprisingly, I did not finish Lake Placid's classical CD's yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment