Friday, May 25, 2007

Hey, this is fun

And so begins my time off. Up at 5:30, wish I could say I was productive but all I did was add things to my list--plant carrot seeds I bought yesterday, wrap Linda's birthday presents, mulch garden with cedar mulch I bought yesterday, get cards to post office because I have no new stamps, plus a few more boring things. Highlighted the things I think I can do today in the 85 degree heat. It was really hot yesterday, and I really hate the heat. No, I really hate the heat. It reminds me of my youth in the Midwest, baking on the plains. At least here there is relief at the lake shore. I may need to set up the b.house porch late this afternoon for some sitting/napping around 5.

Annual meeting was a bit of a disappointment yesterday--programs were not great and I had trouble with heavy eyelids (after the post-luncheon program Fred, sitting at another table asked me how my nap was). Went grocery shopping after the meeting, spent way too much money I don't have, but then rewarded myself by spending more money on plants at a new plant place on the way to Saranac Lake. That was fun and they had some stuff I don't usually find, including million bells that are close to the color of the blossoms next to the outdoor table we sat at once in a restaurant in Naples, overlooking the sea.

Fred called in the early evening, longing for a gin-drinking partner so I went there and we sat on his porch, rocking in the chairs and sipping away. Had our usual grand time.

Home for a quiet evening--got a funny phone call from a woman whose friend wants to paint a picture from one of my photos she saw online. For some reason she asked this woman to call me (the woman who called lives on the Silver Lake Road, so I think her friend thought she must therefore know me. We knew where each other lived but that was the extent of it). I thought it was all pretty entertaining and said sure, the woman could call me. Have no idea which picture it is. Sometimes I send pictures to the NPR website and they post them as their Photo of the Day. I'm guessing it was one of those.

Another hummingbird in the living room this morning. A girl this time and I managed to get a dish towel over her (man did she scream!) and free her before she flew very high. Turned out that yesterday's upstairs bird had not left so after my shower I spent 20 minutes chasing her with a broom. She was incredibly stubborn and exhausted. I'd get her to land on the end of the broom, then walk slowly over to the open window, to within 8" of the window, then she'd freak out and fly away. Poor thing was truly traumatized and I was afraid she was going to have a heart attack. Can you imagine how fast her heart was beating?

OK, on to productivity. Start with area next to bedroom door. Goal: be able to open bedroom door, packing up coats I haven't worn in years to take them either to dump or Salva Army.

Lady, start your engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment