Thursday, May 31, 2007

At least somebody missed me

I guess I forgot to water my plants before I left work last week. The big unattractive one is lying down. I just noticed it. I've read all of my emails, mostly offering me things I can't refuse and lots of posts from the public library listserv (those people always have something to say). The Maricopa Library in Arizona is moving into their new 22,000 foot building and is not using Dewey or any classification system to arrange their collection. They will be organizing their collection by topic, like a bookstore. One subscriber commented: "Isn't Dewey organized by TOPIC?!" Duh, yes. Everyone who's not an employee of the library seems to agree it will be difficult to find an individual title among the topics. Lots of luck with that one.

I'm having either a severe allergic reaction to some airborne particles or a chest and head cold. Take your pick. Lots of barking coughs and plugged ears & sinuses. Steroid inhaler helps, allergy pills help. Being back at work, not so much. I miss my dogs. I whined to Tess this morning that I really liked our routines from the past several days and that I will miss her very much today. I could leave the door open so they could wander inside and out at will. They love that. Dogs don't get to control very much of what goes on in their lives. They were very good during the whole week, I think having that much stimulation during the day is really great for them. And having so much freedom and flexibility during the day is grand for me.

Yesterday I finished painting the bedroom ceiling. No more greenish tint color to paint. Now it's just the trim so theoretically I could put the furniture back the way it was. This would be a good thing, one would think. I've been sleeping upstairs in the big bedroom with big windows looking out over the woods. I like it up there and I like the change. The dogs seem ok with it. The woodpecker that's hammering away at the beam on the corner of the house is VERY loud there, however. He's muffled and much quieter in the downstairs room. Anyway, I hope to start on the trim this weekend. For some reason it looks like a big job. I'd also like to strip the mirror that hangs in the living room so I can paint it burgundy/brown too. That project didn't get very far. I did, however, install a new light fixture at the foot of the stairs. Did that while I had the cellar ladder out. Great to have that chore done, it's been years of staring at a bare bulb after I broke the globe there. Got some gardening done but there's plenty more to go. Planted 12 tomato plants yesterday: 2 varieties, will see who does best--Early Girl or Mountain Spring. I never have much luck with tomatoes, the dogs generally pick them when they're green. I'm stubborn and optimistic, though, and will keep trying every year. I measured the level in my well. Not bad, more water in it than there was in the winter but it's not exactly a deep, deep well. I'm not sure what maximum level is so I have no benchmark. Sump pump continues to run periodically so I may be at max. level now. Have been tying knots in the twine tied to the rock I lower into the well to measure distance to water surface. You have to love my life.

The public hearing held by the Town Board, ostensibly to discuss the Development Law was a nightmare that upset us all very, very much. Lots of verbal abuse and character assassination of seasonal people, lots of mocking those of us who favor regulations about development. Everyone was to get 3 minutes to speak but it was another shouting match and the morons didn't limit their comments to development in Black Brook at all. Linda said she'd never felt as unwanted as that ever before. All of us who attended felt depressed, saddened and disgusted. It was a miserable experience, an example of government by buffoonery, mob action and class discrimination. I'll have to keep going to the open meetings that will follow to maintain a presence of those of us who believe there should be regulation of development in the town. Hopefully the miserable wretches who were there had their 15 minutes of fame and will not want to spend their time doing that again.

Tomorrow I go to the Saranac Lake Library to start cataloging their Adirondack Collection. Must wear white gloves (I kid you not) and write only in pencil. Can't start work before 10:00. Don't know if I'll come here to work for an hour, then go there or if I'll go there from home and try to figure out how to make a 7.5 hour day of it.

What awaits me today? Christmas in cross-stitch, A kitchen full of Christmas, LinguFun!language learning card games and assorted CD's. Still haven't touched the inflatable frog or the rain gauge. Must water plants now.

No comments:

Post a Comment