Monday, May 07, 2007

Who's keeping track

It was a beautiful weekend, 50's and sunny. Warm spring sun, getting pretty high in the sky. There was a cold wind, though, which kept me from sitting in the sun reading on my deck. I spent the whole weekend (embarrassingly) indoors. I "should have" worked outside, moving firewood, pulling brambleberries (#1 enemy) and cleaning out gardens (I use the term gardens loosely). I was most unproductive on Saturday but had a really wonderful time. Fred called late morning, suggesting we go to Wilmington for lunch in celebration of summer. Our first foray into summer territory. Off we went to a diner for lunch and a nice visit. I truly enjoy his company--I know few people who enjoy life as much as Fred does, and when he's at Silver Lake he's incredibly cheerful. I'd like to be that cheerful when I'm at Silver Lake. Which would be all the time. I suppose I cheer up a lot when I'm staying at the boat house--in fact, I know I do.

Anyway, shame on me when we went to the famous candy maker store I bought too much (any is too much for me) candy: choc. covered raisins and coconut patty. Ate them too quickly and had my sugar crash when I got home, slept on the couch for a long time. At least my dog was lying next to me so it was really, really nice. I should have been cleaning my house in prep. for Sunday dinner, which I hosted this week.

I cleaned Sun. morning instead, which wasn't too bad. House is cluttered but not dirty (Ken has provided me with this description) so I did a little de-cluttering, vacuumed and cleaned a bit. I cleared out the corner of the kitchen counter, then put some things back because I had no other place to put them. I did pack away my nasty collection of travel mugs, however--I never, ever use them and must weed the collection down to 1 sometime. I don't like travel mugs.

Sunday dinner was pork. I went shopping on Friday and asked the butcher for bone-in pork shoulder. He didn't laugh out loud, but he said he had pork butt, the only thing like shoulder with a bone. Yeah, that's what I mean (duh) I pretended. How big do I need for 4 people, 2 of whom eat a lot? At least a pound for each person. Then give me the biggest you've got. Only 4.75 pounds. So home I went, jiggedy jiggedy jig. First a stop at Lowes for something I've wanted for a very long time: cordless circular saw. WOWIE JET! I bought one! I'm thrilled and can't wait to use it on my lumber pile. Cut it all up for kindling, as my brother demonstrated several years ago. It would be so great to whittle down that pile, and I'm out of softwood kindling. Plus it has a 6.5" blade, and I thought they only came with a 5" blade so I'm in hog heaven.

Anyway, Sunday was really nice. We had pre-dinner treats on the deck in the sun, very cheerful. I borrowed Linda's covered pan to cook the pork in (slow cook, low heat, 3 hours) and all went well. Broiled asparagus, mashed potatoes, gravy that wasn't very flavorful but there was enough of it. Bill brought a dessert that was indescribable. Ken was in good form. At one point after dinner Fred was walking around outside, Bill was dozing on one couch and Ken was sound asleep on the other, while I tidied up a bit in the kitchen. What a wonderful group we are!

But did I avail myself of the beautiful day after they all left? NO NO NO! I took a long nap. I've been wondering if all these naps mean depression or if I'm just not getting enough sleep during the week. Have not found the answer. Some think you cannot catch up on lost sleep, some think you can. It seems I do sleep long hours on weekends, napping on Sat. afternoons. My naps are much longer these days, though, and I slept hours and hours both days this weekend. I'm nervous because spring is a bad time for me and I've already had my mild mania, which is always followed by my annual spring depression. We're tracking me, though, my Good Doctor and I.

Now Lake Placid's CD's beckon me. I haven't opened the box yet--what wonders await?

No comments:

Post a Comment