Monday, May 15, 2006



I was really surprised to see trillium in the woods, it seems early for them. I found painted trillium (the white ones, with reddish-purple in the center), which are really common where I live, and a purple one, less common but still around where I live. The purple ones are also called Purple Benjamin or Stinking Benjamin. I've never stuck my nose in them to see what they smell like. Some springs there are huge patches of trillum, but it's so wet right now I'm not sure what effect that will have on them. They move around a lot so you never know where they'll show up--there will be a big patch in one place one year and it'll be bare of them the next year.
One time I was driving home from Canton (near where Jenica lives) in the spring and I took a back road for variety and came across a patch in the woods that was white trillium, all white, and stretched into the woods as far as the eye could see. It was really magical. You see huge patches like that along Route 81 going towards Syracuse, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment