Wednesday, May 10, 2006


These are all geraniums. Americans are truly a people of excess. By the end of the season this greenhouse will be nearly empty. An amazing transformation. This place has 6 greenhouses, all currently full of plants. Some are incredibly fragrant, all are like big magical tents to me. I love going there and will go there at least 4 times in the next 2 months. I try to get geraniums for the cemetery: 1 each for my grandparents (sometimes 2 for my grandfather), several for my father and now my brother (though they deserve better than geraniums--but the graves just bake in the sun and it's hard to find something that will survive without being deadheaded and watered regularly), several for my aunts and uncles (at my mother's insistence--I do not like honoring these people, they were not nice to me or my family when they were alive, but my mother is right, others would notice if I did not put geraniums on their graves), some for my father's favorite cousin, and sometimes one for her mother. I usually buy 15 or 16 geraniums. This year geraniums cost $2.49 each at Lamoys. I will shop around.

No comments:

Post a Comment