Wednesday, May 10, 2006


This duck was taking a walk along the side of the road, then crossed the road and went up the driveway of a house. It was as if the duck had been to visit a neighbor and was walking home. Ducks walk with this labored, side to side waddle that I love to watch. My father loved ducks and when he retired and they moved to RI my mother got him two Muscovy ducks. She got Muscovys because they don't quack. He had a lot of fun watching them in the pen in the back yard. They got the ducks a kiddie pool to swim in. They brought them here and the ducks spent the summer swimming in Silver Lake. Two ducks never had a better vacation. They would return to the shore next to the boat house where my father (or probably my mother) left corn for them every day. When it was time to return to RI my sainted sister, along with the man who later became my husband had the great duck round-up. It was then that we discovered that Muscovys do quack and my sister named the ducks Quick and Quack. The ducks were caught and my sister had to share the back seat with them. They (the ducks) pooped a lot, their digestive tracts deeply disturbed by the trauma of the round-up. That was when it took 7 hours to get to RI.

No comments:

Post a Comment