Thursday, May 04, 2006


This is the ruffed grouse (top) and American woodcock (bottom)

Where are all the women?
Clearly I was the only woman in my neighborhood this morning. About 20 feet from my house was a male woodcock who was smitten by me in my car. He stood in the middle of my driveway, fanning his tail in a really masculine display. Then he trotted away into the woods. I drove around the circle on my way out, where a male grouse stood next to the road. He, too was smitten and fanned his tale in an incredible masculine way before he scuttled into the woods. Though I was flattered I thought they were pretty weird

American woodcock:
Description
Plump, with round head.
No apparent neck.
Long bill.
Brown and black concealing pattern.
Size: 25-31 cm (10-12 in)
Wingspan: 42-48 cm (17-19 in)
Weight: 116-279 g (4.09-9.85 ounces)
Sex Differences
Sexes look alike; females larger.

Sound
Silent except for male display and twittering of wings in flight. Display involves wing twittering interspersed with harsh "peents."

No comments:

Post a Comment